Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bed Time Battles

How many of us have fallen into the trap of interacting with our kids 10 times (or more) after they have been tucked in for the night (or at nap time for that matter)?

I was desparate to STOP the manipulation. But how? I had taken privalages away, I had threatened that if this continued the culpret would stay in his bed for 15 minutes after he awoke. I'b tried a swift pat to the buttocks, and even time out (which only prolonged the bedtime process). I even thought to cut out the special reading time before bed but thought cutting out books is not a good idea. I want to promote reading and look for more opportunites not less.

The Solution!
After talking to my friend who has three children and has played this game clued me in. Here it is.... it worked!
When the comotion begins, quietly go into the room, remove the child's blankets, pillow and favorite cuddly, kindly say, When you are ready to be quiet and go to sleep, I will bring these back. And leave the room.

The first time I did this I think he was in shock. He knew his games weren't going to work this time. He did cry but the first time he was quiet for a minute or so I returned the comfy materials. Every time since then, he as been silent and the process is much shorter lived. Whew!

This worked for me. If you find opportunity, try it. It may just work for you too!

1 comment:

In Light of the Truth... said...

Thanks so much for sharing this!! I have tried it with my toddler 3 times in the last 2 days and it's working so much better!! I even blogged about it to share with others! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...